Saturday, October 18, 2008

Show Me the Money, Part 2

I'm not sure if this is really a part 2 of what I wrote before, but as I've been thinking about living a more simple lifestyle, I also want to cook more simple meals. Meals that take only a few ingredients save money because you're not buying as much food to make them. And for working moms like me, save you time in the kitchen and give you more time to play with your kids after work. I'm always up for that.

I know there's a cookbook out there from the same group I mentioned before with the Simply in Season cookbook called More with Less. I don't own it yet, but a lady at our local market carries it so I might buy it from her. All of the recipes have only a few ingredients. As much as I enjoy Rachael Ray and the meals I've made from her cookbook were tasty, they take lots of stuff that I don't often have on hand and end up costing a bit more. If you check out the link, you can view sample recipes.

Soup is a great meal to make that usually takes not too many ingredients and often includes stuff you have on hand. Sometimes the list looks long because of all the seasonings but it's usually pretty quick and easy to make. Soup recipes galore exist online and in most cookbooks you find. Now is a great time of year for soup as the weather is getting cooler. I love a big pot of soup with some warm bread, especially if I have time to make it myself (which hasn't happened recently). Soup is also great because you can either double the recipe and freeze it for some night you don't feel like cooking or just save the leftovers and freeze them. Most soup recipes make a good amount.

I could probably spend a few weeks posting all the soup recipes I love but here are 2 of my favorites!

Lentil Soup (from my mom)
**lentils are great because you don't have to soak them like you do other beans

1/4 cup olive oil
1 diced onion
2 diced carrots
2 chopped celery stalks
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried basil
2 cups lentils
8 cups chicken broth
1 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup thinly sliced spinach or kale
2 TBSP vinegar
salt and pepper

1. In a large pot, saute vegetables in olive oil until tender. Stir in garlic and spices. Cook 2 minutes.
2. Stir in lentils and chicken broth and add tomatoes.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
4. When ready to serve, stir in spinach (if using kale, you may need to steam a little first). Stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper.


Hearty Broccoli Soup (from Simply in Season cookbook)
**I've made a lot of broccoli soups, and this one is my husband's favorite (he's pickier than me when it comes to soup)

2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup minced celery
1 cup water

1. Cook above ingredients for 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups chopped broccoli and cook 5-10 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups milk, 2 chicken bouillion cubes and 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce. Heat until boiling.
4. Blend 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup flour until smooth in a small bowl. Stir into soup and cook just until thickened. Turn off heat. (I've also just used heavy cream instead).
5. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese until melted.

What kind of soup do you like?

2 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Maryland Crab Soup, of course!!! Oh, and I thought of you when I read this post today:

http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/a-response-to-corn-refiners-comment/

I could barely follow along, but I know YOU can easily.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a lentil soup recipe just like this-- I will definitely be giving it a try next week!

My favorite soup is carrot-rice soup from the Lundberg Farms website. It's so easy and delicious, and I always have everything I need to make it. The recipe says to puree all of the carrots, but I like to do half so that there are still big carrot rounds in the soup.

Here's the recipe if you're interested: http://www.lundberg.com/recipes/soup_carrot.aspx