Saturday, March 13, 2010

Menu Planning Update

Last month, I finally dug in my heels and started planning a monthly menu.  This was one of my goals for the year, to have more organized food plans.  Even though we almost always cook from scratch, I was flying by the seat of my pants way too often.  Here is my original post of how I got started.

I was pretty pleased with the first month.  I enjoyed getting most of my staples in a single trip to our health food store.  There were, of course, some forgotten items and a weekly trip to market for milk and produce, but it did feel like we were shopping less.  I wouldn't say we spent any less than we normally do, but I think with time, I'll be able to get better at that.

I did make a few changes to my monthly planning sheet for March.  I kept the same routine for planning dinners.  I made a list of enough dinners for the month, trying to balance out beef, chicken, fish, and vegetarian meals.  Instead of writing down specific breakfast and lunch meals for the month, I just wrote a generic list of the things we normally eat for those meals.  I'll share those ideas with you soon, just in case you're curious what we eat around here for that.

I also decided to make a weekly planning sheet as well.  I found that only having a montly planning sheet required a lot of moving meals around.  I made a chart that has seven blocks, one for each day of the week.  Then I put a line for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is each block.  I then take my generic lists for breakfast and lunch and fill one in for each day.  I use the master list of dinners and fill those in as well.  I like planning for the week this way because I plan easier dinners for the nights my husband works or if we have something going on in the evening.  It was always hard for me to plan weekly until I made the master month list first.  Below the dinner line I put a section for planning ahead.  So if I need to take meat out, grind flour, or soak some grains (another new thing I'm trying-more on this later), or prep something, I won't forget to do it.  Well, as long as I remember to look! This has made everything go so much more smoothly.

The other thing I put on the weekly planning sheet is a small space to the right of the dinner blocks where I can put any ingredients I didn't plan ahead for or things like fruit and vegetables I might need to get at the beginning of the week.  It's kind of like having a weekly grocery list and since it's right next to the menu, again, it's a lot easier.

Has anyone else given this a try?  I encourage you to do so!

I'm having a recipe party next weekend. Can't wait to share the details of how it goes!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

wow! you are organized! we are definitely flying by the seat of our pants right now. we're lucky to get dinner on the table each night. maybe after things settle down, i'll be able to plan ahead better.

hothoney said...

thanks to your encouragement, we are in the final week of our monthly eating schedule. I have been SOOO much more relaxed at 4 or 5 when I have to start cooking. We've definitely moved some meals around and I've tried to have one meal a week that is already in the freezer so I can shuffle if I have to. That meal will stay frozen if I need it to!!

Alison said...

I love this idea of planning meals for a month! I'm going to try it.

Alison said...

You're going to hate me for this...but, can I see your menu? Maybe not a month - how about just a week of dinners.

Have you ever bought a share of crops from a local farmer? If so, what was that experience like?

I have more questions, but I'll stop there. ;)

Love your blog - it challenges me.